As a young woman obsessed with yoga, self-help and sparkles, gaining respect in my male-dominated workplace was at first a struggle. Over the course of the past (2!) years, however, I have gleaned a few nuggets of wisdom on the subject that I hope you’ll find helpful:
1. Choose ensembles that are elegant rather than sexy. You want to be known for your brain, not your body, end of story. It’s also a good idea to notice what your boss wears and follow suit (literally!).
2. Resist the tendency to be cliquey. The office is not middle school, and though women often find it fun and comforting to have a BFF, it is much smarter (and less annoying!) to cultivate meaningful relationships with as many different people as possible.
3. Speak clearly and with conviction. Drop the filler words (um, like, etc) and notice if you’re raising your voice at the end of each sentence (which makes what you say sound like a question, diminishing your authority).
4. Know your worth and don’t be afraid to ask for what you want when it comes to salary. Worst case scenario: your employer says no. Best case scenario: More respect, bling bling and a serious confidence boost.
5. Be yourself. People respect authenticity, so please don’t waste your precious life energy trying to be some fake perfect person. Eww. So boring. Instead focus on hard work, confidence and kindness and you won’t go wrong.
Got any other tips for young women striving to gain respect in the workplace without losing themselves? Would love to hear your feedback in the comments below!